Wallasey was founded in 1891 by members from nearby Hoylake, perhaps because their links was becoming crowded or maybe because Wallasey was more convenient for the many Liverpool businessmen wanting to slip away to play golf.
Tom Morris senior of St Andrews, four times Open champion, laid out the links. An 1893 newspaper comment that "...the greens were in excellent condition..." has been repeated continuously ever since. Course improvements were made in 1901 by Alex 'Sandy' Herd (Open Champion 1902) and in 1913 by Harold Hilton (four times Amateur Champion and twice Open Champion).
Although Wallasey was again an Open qualifying course in 1936, a new lease meant that the acreage was reduced and a new layout was required. This was designed by Hawtree and J H Taylor, with additional advice from James Braid.
The Second World War interrupted this development and caused the loss of some holes for defences. It was not until 1952 that the full 18 hole links was available, and in 1956 the Open qualifiers were again held at Wallasey when the Open returned to Hoylake. As well as eventual winner Peter Thompson, the competitors included Henry Cotton, Gene Sarazen, Peter Alliss, and the 20-year-old Gary Player.
1964 saw the retirement of club professional Bill Davies after 36 years service, during which he also managed 2 Ryder Cup appearances and several top-10 Open finishes.